The movie Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Annapurna Pictures and starring Cate Blanchett, is about a woman whose anxiety and need for change leads her to Antarctica onboard an expedition with One Ocean Expeditions.
We were thrilled when Annapurna Pictures reached out to see if we would be interested in partnering to shoot this film. We are even more excited now that we have seen what a fantastic movie this turned out to be! Here are some fun facts and insider tidbits to the behind-the-scenes of “Where’d You Go, Bernadette?”:
- The very first shot of the movie is a drone shot done on location (no green screens here!)
- The brochure Bee shows her parents in the kitchen is an actual (older) One Ocean Expeditions brochure
- The kayaking scenes were shot on location. Cate Blanchett and the other actors were on the water for about 6 hours.
- The scene shot on the bow of the ship was real, and the wind was very cold!
- The actual Captain of the vessel is an extra in the scene that takes place on the Ship’s Bridge
- All the red jackets you see in the film belong to One Ocean Expeditions and they are the same ones we offer our guests. The same goes for all the kayaking gear worn by Cate.
- The media room on the ship became the hair and makeup studio. The team even kindly trimmed some shipboard crew’s hair!
- Though they mostly had good weather, a large storm was encountered towards the end of the voyage – making this a true expedition style voyage.
- Cate Blanchett liked her Lacrosse Boots (waterproof, insulated boots provided to all guests) so much that she wore them in other scenes of the film.
- The scenes shot in the interior cabins of the ship were actually shot on a set – they made exact replicas of the ship’s cabins in a studio.
- The dining room on the ship was open 24/7 for food and seasickness pills.
- There was dedicated Zodiac for ‘craft services’ so anyone could get hot tea or coffee at any time.
- The scene where Cate grabs her Kayaking gear for the first time – she grabs her gear from a long-time One Ocean Expeditions kayak guide (not an actor!)
- Towards the end of the filming, the vessel encountered The RCGS Resolute before OOE’s full acquisition. This was very exciting for our crew.
If you are interested in following in Bernadette’s footsteps, and travelling to Antarctica with One Ocean Expeditions, please speak to your preferred travel agent or contact our sales team here. Take advantage of our special, limited-time offers.