Happy New Year from the entire One Ocean Expeditions team!
2019 has arrived and we are looking forward to another remarkable year, with the launch of new innovative itineraries, continuing along the thread of our core pillars of exploration, and enhancing science and educational programming with an array of special guests and experiences. Here are 8 things to look forward to this year!
1. Adventurers will have the opportunity to explore the ‘Chilean Fjords’, ‘Central America’ and ‘Scotland, Faroe Islands & Iceland’, with new itineraries that encourage active discovery of remote landing sites, community visits and a plethora of wildlife.
2. Following the success of our first ‘Fiddles and Sticks’ golf expedition cruise in summer 2018, we can’t wait for our inaugural ‘Scotland & Ireland Golf Expedition’ in July this year! An opportunity to experience some of the world’s top courses, this unique voyage is a bucket list trip for any golfer.
3. Our Photography Symposiums are every photographer’s dream. Departing March 11, 2019, the ‘Antarctic Peninsula Adventure’ featuring award-winning photographers Paul Zizka and Dave Brosha offers a fun and encouraging environment to hone photography skills. Famed photographer Daisy Gilardini will be returning for her photography symposium ‘Spitsbergen Encounter’ in the Norwegian High Arctic in June 2019.
4. Special guests scheduled to travel with us include explorer and writer Adam Shoaltz, author and CEO of The Royal Canadian Geographical Society, John Geiger, and scientist and public figure, Jacqueline Windh among other renowned scientists, educators, researchers, naturalists, marine biologists and historians to be announced throughout the year.
5. RCGS Resolute will embark on her first summer in Canada, beginning with ‘Fiddles and Sticks’ departing out of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. After a successful Antarctic season, we will be excited to welcome her back to Canadian waters where she was recommissioned, joining the OOE fleet in October 2018.
6. Arts and Culture enthusiasts will have the opportunity to enjoy an expanded Arts program this year, with a special voyage to South Baffin, hosted by Dr. Nancy Campbell, guest curator with the McMichael Canadian Art Collection. In a once in a lifetime opportunity, guests can explore Cape Dorset – the “Capital of Inuit Art”. Other art voyages will be hosted by renowned artists Cory Trepanier and Clare Dudeney.
7. The ‘One Lab’, a specialized laboratory custom built with state-of-the-art equipment, was installed on RCGS Resolute in October 2018. Following this placement, two more specialized container workrooms are set to be fitted onto sister ships Akademik Ioffe and Akademik Sergey Vavilov for release in Spring 2019. The One Lab will provide an inclusive space for scientists to conduct work in real time in the isolated areas we visit.
8. Continuing to expand science initiatives on board, the Ocean Wise Arctic dive team will be returning to the Canadian Arctic with OOE, documenting marine life in never before seen dive locations. Ocean Wise will also continue their work researching micro-plastics in the world’s most remote waters.
We wish you all the best for the following year and may all your travel dreams come true! Happy sailing.